Saturday, May 31, 2008

miracles and other extraordinary acts

When my friend Meredith died last month after her fight against cancer, I felt lots of things, but the one emotion that caught me off guard was this: surprise. I had prayed for her healing and for a miracle for so long that I really expected God to miraculously take Meredith's cancer away. So, the morning she died, I was surprised, even though I'd gone to say "goodbye" to her days before.


I started to think about how we should pray. Let me begin by saying this: Prayer is a mysterious thing. I don't know exactly how it works or why God decides to say yes to some of our prayers and no to others. But, I do know that our prayers matter.

The Bible says the prayer of a righteous person is "powerful and effective." And that we must pray believing and not doubting. And there are lots of examples of God responding to prayer. In 2 Chronicles, it says God was "moved" by Manasseh's prayers.

I also was thinking about how Jesus healed people of lots of illnesses when he was on earth and how the Bible says Jesus is the same yesterday, today, and forever. So if Jesus healed then, why not now?

Okay, here's my point: I think we should pray believing that our prayers can be answered in miraculous ways. When someone you know is dying of cancer, I think you can ask for complete healing. God is bigger than any disease we humans face and He is a God who heals, both body and soul. Ultimately, we should pray wanting God's will above all else, but I think part of His will is that we pray believing our prayers matter.

11 comments:

KssGodchild said...

True... good post!

Anonymous said...

true... good post!

Anonymous said...

I went to ceder point yesterday!!!!

last week(my kkkkkkk is working, hahahaha)of school

kelly kelly kelly kelly kelly

Anonymous said...

I like what you said. We should pray to him all the time, why not talk to the creater of everything around you, including the mind to pray. YOu also should listen to what he says, and read the bible. The creater of everything is so smart, he knows everything. Why not listen to the God who knows everything. HE sees time from a horizontal stand point. THat makes all the difference. HE made a place in heavon for you. HE also made places for everyone on the earth. Invite someone to heavon with you. WE need to show Gods love today he knows everything. HE set a place for all your friends.

My point is , you are going home. TEll your friends to go to their home in heavon

Anonymous said...

i liked what that said it was really good. So ben was ceder point fun? did you ride all the rides?

Anonymous said...

Yes we should get to are home in heaven and hopefully all your friends do. And was good ben you always have good stuff to say.

Anonymous said...

"If we would pray aright, the first thing we should do is to see to it that we really get an audience with God, that we really get into His very presence. Before a word of petition is offered, we should have the definite consciousness that we are talking to God, and should believe that He is listening and is going to grant the thing that we ask of Him." -R.A. Torrey

I thought both that quote and Jillian's post were pretty cool.

Anonymous said...

I lik(kkk it is working)ed ceder point. I really didn't like rides when I got there. by the end I was ready for bigger rides, but then I had leave. so, my biggest ride was mean streak(kkkkk)YOu re

You really need to beleive that GOd will do what is best for you. Just think, he knows everything, so he will do what is best for you.

Anonymous said...

Kfc Kfc Kfc

kelly Kelly

Todd Iannetta said...

wow, those are some great words from you guys. Nice insight and good quote Nathan Young. RA Torrey was a President of Moody Bible Institute, my college.

Enjoy the day!

Anonymous said...

Not to mention a famous evanglist. =)