Saturday, June 23, 2007

Revolutionary Love

Good morning! How has summer been so far? I saw a lot of you volunteering at VBS. The basement of the church was so not lonely this week. I loved having you guys there. Volunteering is such an important thing in life. It helps us to see outside of ourselves and realize the value in doing something that isn't about us!

I'm going to switch gears a little, but here is my train of thought. Volunteering...helping others...other asking for help...people asking too much of us...

Do you ever hear someone say, "I can't let people walk all over me." In other words, "I can't let people take advantage of me." I would argue that, often, it is our calling to let people walk all over us. Look at the words of Jesus:

"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you." Matthew 5: 38-42

When someone asks you to go a mile with them and you are already willing to go the second mile, it is almost impossible to say someone is "walking all over you." So, the next time someone asks too much of you, really evaluate and see if God would want you to go the extra mile for that person. You'll find the answer is often yes! Imagine if all Christians did that all of the time. The world would have a hard time resisting the Jesus inside of us!

With the love of Jesus inside of you being acted out in your day to day relationships, you can revolutionize your own world. : ) It's exciting.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my summer is going great i was a helper at vbs i helped the fourth graders we had a duch child in our class and he didnt speak much english
but by the end of the week he started to learn a little

Anonymous said...

i'm part dutch