Saturday, April 14, 2007

True Confessions

Hi! Another week has come and gone. And I'm gonna be honest: some Saturday mornings, I have absolutely no idea what to write about. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot going on in my head. But that doesn't mean you want to hear about it! So, I'm at the computer, nearly paralyzed with the fear of boring you or you thinking I'm dumb or weird.....

I guess I can trace those feelings back to something inside of me that really cares what people think of me. We all have it, this desire for people to say we're okay. Someone gives you their stamp of approval and you can breathe easy for a bit, until you mess up and begin to doubt if you're actually an okay person or you meet someone new and have to start working for their acceptance, too. I see it in so many things I do, even in the smallest things, like what purse I carry. Sometimes, at work, I just really want my boss to tell me I make good drinks. I mean, seriously, does making a good latte make me a better person?

The whole world is looking for something to label themselves with that will make them acceptable to everybody else. It's like we have these underlying, unspoken conversations going on: "Oh, you're an athlete? Then that gives you value." "You're so pretty! I accept you!" "You're dating someone? You must be an okay person."

This is why we need a relationship with Jesus so badly! We are valuable because God made us that way. He made us in His image and He cared so deeply for us that He was willing to die for us. Nothing you can do will earn God's love. He already loves you so much. But, if you don't have a relationship with Him, you can't know that you are already loved and accepted. You don't know the very thing that gives you value...God!

I do know Jesus and He is slowly taking that desire out of me to be okay in the world's eyes. The more I know Jesus, the better I understand God's love for me and can stop trying to be validated. It's a work in progress. : )

Welp, looks like I found something to write about!


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

first comment! what a cool post!

Anonymous said...

i never knew that you worked at starbucks

Anonymous said...

I know that you're supposed to do everything as if you were doing it for GOD, but I don't think that making a good latte makes you a better person lol.
I feel the same way some times. I wish that I was more like my little sister; she doesn't care what people think and her friends don't care if her clothes match or not.

roxmysox

Anonymous said...

We shouldn't care about what other people think. We should be ourselves and hope people like us for that. But don't forget God will still love you the same no matter what you do or say.

*PS. i will announce who i am next friday.

Anonymous said...

starbucks is sweet!!! i get the carmel apple cider. which satrbucks do u work at (as in which location?)

Anonymous said...

Actually i am not going 2 announce who i am yet because i don't think i'm coming to edge this week. Sry

Anonymous said...

i know xactly what u r tlkng abt, jillian.
can evry1 please call me beth?

Anonymous said...

I cant believe HHS (hudson high school) did this it makes me so mad! My brother goes there and they took a day of silence for all of the kids that were harrassed for being gay, lesbian, or bisexual. I feel like GOD sometimes doesn't see what's happening there!

Anonymous said...

GOD made Adam and Eve NOT Adam and Steve!

Anonymous said...

I totally understand how you're feeling!
I think that *unsaved* people feel the need to lie a lot to get people's "acceptance stamp"

Anonymous said...

You have a good point Johnsey. My bro goes to HHS (my other brother goes 2 CVCA) and they have a bulliten out in the front about the clubs for homosexuals...it's just not right! And now, my mom has told me some schools are trying to teach students (i say BRAINWASH) to accept and think homosexuality is good. That just makes me sudder at the thought.

Anonymous said...

Dang!!!

If you can afford to go to a christian school where they don't do things like that please please remember how blessed you are!

Anonymous said...

ok, just because hudson high school is doing this doesn't mean the whole district of schools are bad! and it still means hudson high is a really good school, even thought i strongly disagree with what they're doing right now! people are not "lucky" if they go to a Christian school, although it is nice. hudson schools are ranked in the top 1% of the best school districts in Ohio, and in the top 3% nationally!!! i go to HMS and am planning on graduating high school from Hudson High. i would think twice before saying something against a school district just because of one bad program it is providing.