Saturday, December 15, 2007

Oh, the weather outside is frightful...

I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "Snow day." Even though I don't go to school anymore, I hope you get it. I really do. : )

Speaking of hope, I want to share with you something I was thinking about yesterday.

I have a friend, a beautiful friend, who I've known for quite some time. A little after we graduated from college and just a month before her wedding, she found out she had stage four cancer. That's the last stage of cancer before you die.

The past year has been so hard for her and life isn't what she thought it would be. She is in pain a lot and has to fight a lot of fear. My friend has to deal with the real possibility that most of the things she thought she would do in life might not happen. Those things are tougher than I can imagine.

But the really glorious part of the story is that she knows Jesus. She has a relationship with Him and that gives her hope. When she is weak, Jesus gives her the strength to go on. And she can trust that God knows more than she does. But most of all, she can hope for heaven. Everything is going to be alright for my friend because, in the end, there is heaven. When she dies, if it's in two weeks or 50 years, she gets to go be with Jesus. And that's what it's all about.

In our deepest winter, our greatest despair, Jesus is hope.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...

Anonymous said...

makes you really sit down and think dosn't it....?

Anonymous said...

depressing.:(

Anonymous said...

jill, you always have the best posts. but this one really, really made me think. my aunt had breast cancer a few years ago and not once did i ever really sit down and think, ok if she dies today, where will she go? but since then i have thought about it, and i know now that she will go to heaven. it's great to have god be a reassurance when you are scared or in deep despair. i love that about god, he never lets us go.