Saturday, April 12, 2008

Today was one of those rare days where I got to take a nap. Sadly and strangely, my nap today was filled with dreams about something that happened three years ago when I was in my senior year of college. It was April 10, 2005, the day three students that lived a few blocks from me at Miami U died in a terrible house fire. One of them was a pretty blond girl named Julie who was good friends with my housemate and she was supposed to graduate with us that May. It totally rocked my world when those three kids died. I remember routing my runs outside to avoid seeing the house where their lives ended. But, after a while, I would run past on purpose so I could look and pray and remember how fragile life is.

Sometimes it scares me that life is so unpredictable and that I don't know what the next day holds. But, when life is scary and hard and sad, Jesus is most beautiful. He knows everything that your life holds and promises to be everything you need. He "is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." (Psalm 34:18)

Here's what Paul said when he suffered: "We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed." (I Cor. 4:8-10) I love those words because they remind me of the hope I have in Jesus...I am never abandoned when I know the Savior of the Universe loves me and has a plan for me!

If you're scared or your spirit is troubled, remember that God can give peace. "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Phil. 4:6-7).

Those are the promises that on days like today, when the world seems pretty sad to me, I have to hold on to. I hope you can, too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like that. Its a good message. An when i stared to read this i could not stop cuz it was so good.