Saturday, March 15, 2008

Take a Break.

Happy Spring Break! For some of you, that greeting is a week early, but for others of you, it's right on time!
In my humble opinion, Spring Break is one of the best ideas ever created. Here we are, feeling as if winter should be over, but constantly reminded by the bitter winds and ever-present snow that it is, indeed, not over.

So, we have Spring Break, a time when we can pretend that spring is actually here and go somewhere warm. Or, even if we don't go anywhere, we can pretend that school is not in session and operate on a summer schedule for a week. It's a time to rest from the harsh realities of an Ohio winter.

Sometimes in life we go through times that seem harsh and dark and cold and last much longer than we expect, like winter can feel. Have you ever suffered like that? Maybe someone you love died, or a good friend betrayed you, or your family is having troubles. The truth is, we will all face times of struggle. But God can give us rest during those times and bring refreshment to your soul.

Look at the words of Jesus, meant for you and me:

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30 (A yoke is a piece of wood that connects a pair of oxen so that together they can pull a heavy load.)

When life is hard, Jesus doesn't ask you to go it alone. He can give you peace in the promises that He cares for you, has a plan for you, and will one day end earthly suffering. Ask Him today to show you what it means to take His yoke upon you and find rest for your soul.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I luv spring and spring break but I will really miss school, plus winter and snow is just not my thing. Spring is a season for me as a refreshment of the bad weather, but I still don't like it because it always makes me get my bad allergies and then I end up sick. But most important is that I think no matter when or where it is, God is with us and he is our warmth and light to whatever is next in our life no matter light or dark!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Spring break is amazing! A whole week off of school, doing absolutly nothing! yay! I am sooo excited for mine next week!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I have spring break right now and i ma not doing anything interesting and i wish we had spring break next week because of weather but i am appreciative of the time off!!

Anonymous said...

Happy St. Patricks day!