Monday, November 27, 2006

What a World

Hello from Cambodia! I just got back from the Mekong river where a large Vietnamese population lives in Cambodia. Here was some of the worst poverty I have ever witnessed.

This is a picture of some kids who live on the streets in Cambodia. I didn't take it, but it is a site that I see everywhere here.

When I was your age, I didn't realize how as Christians we must care for the poor. Loving the poor and meeting their needs is a really important part of serving God. It's easy to forget that when you live in the United States, don't you think? Everyday I ask God to give me His eyes, so that my heart will hurt for what hurts His heart. Ask God to show you these things and He will!

I miss you guys and I'm praying for you!


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jill you are so right we do need to care for the poor. Everyone does. Its amazing how we are somtimes blind to it! I hope you are doing well!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Darn! I missed being first!
I'm glad you could help.

Anonymous said...

its really sad i dont know what else to say

Todd Iannetta said...

Jill, great to see you posting from the other side of the earth. We are praying for you. Thanks for filling us in on what you are experiencing. Have a great rest of the trip!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jill-
I always thought that I was poor because I didn't have a lot of stuff! I think that we as Christians are sometimes that way. We care wayyyy to much about ourselves and we don't think of others in need. But things could get better if we keep remembering Number 2. Stay safe, can't wait till you come back!

Anonymous said...

Jill I miss you soooo much....I have been praying for you alot lately....I hope youre having a good trip....i satyed home sick today...with a " little bug" as my mom called it...but when i reads your post i tought to myself...."I could have something much worse." like some people in the other side of the earth..in the U.S i feel we ofgten forget just what a privlage it is to live here...we dont have to worry about people randomly coming in to our homes. we alos have the privlage to vote..my mom told me as she was standing inline to vote the last election she herd people complain beacsue the line was so long..then she told me that she was more than hppy to wait in line...I mean look at the people in iraq..when they went trough there fisrt election..they had to fear for there lives just to live under democrocy! some time we anr't aware of just how good we have it.

Anonymous said...

People get carried away with cash and don't give to the poor, well... mabye not Bill Graytes, he gives a lot!

Anonymous said...

I think its soooo cool your down in asia helping out the poor.everybody always gets ttly carried away w/ wanting stuff, that they dont think about the ppl that hardly have the neccesities for living. good luck and we'll be praying for u.