Wednesday, December 20, 2006

One Parent To Another

A few months ago, I attended a seminar given by Walt Mueller of the CPYU. I was not familiar with the organization (which stands for the Center for Parent and Youth Understanding) but it looked worthwhile.

It certainly was. The information given was astonishing and illuminating, and I strongly urge all parents to check out the link Todd has put up here to their website. But it was something Walt said in his first few moments that has stayed with me the most. He said he had three simple words that would help any parent through any troubled time with their child. That definitely perked up my ears. If he has an easy solution, than I want it! I leaned forward in my chair and listened closely as he softly said, “the Lord reigns”.

The simplicity of that truth hit home. I have recalled this moment many times since then. I find tremendous comfort in the thought that no matter how it looks…the Lord reigns. When things seem hopeless and lost…the Lord reigns. When I am confused and unsure of what to do…the Lord reigns. The opening words of Psalm 93 have become an anchor for me.

Walt then shared about his own normal struggles with his family. He was there speaking to us as an expert on youth culture and parent/teen relations. He could have left that out and none of us would have probably ever known. The courage and compassion he had to openly share made him more credible in my eyes. It helped to know that even with all his knowledge and wisdom, his family is not “perfect”.

I pray that the next time you are faced with a daunting situation that the simple yet powerful phrase “The Lord Reigns” will rise up in your spirit and be an anchor for you too.

The Lord reigns. Amen.

Carol Ann Utrup“Maddie’s Mom

11 comments:

sethelschlager said...

Jonathan Claytor is the coolest guy that I know at Hudson.

Anonymous said...

Hi guys i'm back yes me! whooo! i got the 1st comment!

Anonymous said...

hey you seth! how dare you steal the first comment !

Anonymous said...

P.S.
how did you cut in front of me like that??? anyway the anonomous back there was me, daaaaad

Anonymous said...

nah nah nah nah nah nah nah it's me daaaaad!!!!!!! yeah

Anonymous said...

whoooooooooooooooooohoooooooo! yeah me oh yeah i rock out loud it's my b-day! whooooo

Anonymous said...

the lord reigns

Anonymous said...

i didn't read this post cause it was so long!

Anonymous said...

Wow, daaaaad wrote a lot of comments and THE LORD REIGNS!
m/o/o

Anonymous said...

Dont beleave in santa because take the 'n' out of santa and put it at the end it spells SATAN!!!

From:1-800-Jack-BUtcHEr!

Anonymous said...

I thought about that too...